Sources for Apollo's Muse
- MS Additional 4457. Microfilm of manuscript volume owned originally by Thomas Birch in the British Library.
- MS Additional 28101. Microfilm of manuscript volume entitled Ashley Cowper's Family Miscellany in the British Library
- MS Finch-Hatton 282. On the blank pages of a copy of Rider's Almanac for the year 1723, a private diary and record in the hand of Heneage Finch, fourth Earl of Winchilsea. Microfilm from Northampton Record Office, Delapre Abbey, Northampton (MS F-H 282).
- MS Finch-Hatton 283. Poems on Several Subjects Written By Ardelia. Microfilm from Northampton Record Office, Delapre Abbey, Northampton (MS F-H 283).
- MS Folger. MISCELLANY POEMS WITH TWO PLAYS BY ARDELIA. [to which is
added] ADDITIONAL POEMS cheifly Upon Subjects DEVINE and MORAL.
In the Folger Library (MS Folger)
- MS Harleian 7316. Miscellaneous English Poems. Microfilm from The British Library (MS Harleian 7316).
- MS Portland Papers. Quoted from a microfilm from the Library of the Marquis of Bath at Longleat. Vols 19-20 (MS Portland 19 and 20).
- MS Wellesley. Poems. By Anne Finch, Countess of Winchelsea. Microfilm from Wellesley College (MS Wellesley).
From Printed Books and Essays
- Birch, Thomas. A General Dictionary Historical and Critical, comp. John Peter Bernard, Thomas Birch, John Lockman, and other hands. 10 vols. London 1739-41 (1741 Birch).
- Bowyer, John Wilson. The Celebrated Mrs Centlivere. Durham, North Carolina: Duke University Press, 1952, pp. 194-206 for a truthful detailed account of the female poets Pope, Gay and Arbuthnot piloried in Three Hours After Marriage.
- Cameron, William J. 'Anne, Countess of Winchilsea: A Guide for the Future Biographer.' Thesis, Victoria College, Wellington, N.Z., 1951. I quote from the MS Longleat Thynne Papers are quoted in this text. This remains the best biography of Anne Finch.
- Dacier, Anne Le Fèvre. 'La Vie de Sapho' in Les Poesies d'Anacreon et de Sapho. Traduites de Grec en François, avec des Remarques par Mademoiselle Le Fèvre. À Lyon. Chez Horace Molin, vis-à-vis le grand collège. 1696.
- Finch, Anne, Countess of Winchilsea. Miscellany POEMS, on Several Occasions. [Originally] Written by a LADY. London. Printed for J.B. and Sold by Benj. Tooke at the Middle-Temple-Gate, William Taylor in Paster-Noster Row, and James Round, in Exchange-Alley, Cornhill. 1713. Reissued 1714 (1713 Miscellany).
- ------------------------------------. The Poems of Anne, Countess of Winchilsea, ed., notes, introduction Myra Reynolds. Chicago: University of Chicago Press, 1903.
- -----------------------------------. The Anne Finch Wellesley Manuscript Poems: A Critical Edition, edd., notes, introduction Barbara McGovern and Charles Hinnant. Athens and London: The University of Georgia Press, 1998.
- Gilden, Charles, ed. A New Miscellany of Original Poems on Several Occasions. Written by E of D, Sir Charles Sedley, Sir Fleetwood Shepheard, Mr. Wolesley, Mr Granvil, Mr Dryden, Mr Stepney, Mr Rowe, And Several Other Eminent Hands. London, 1701 (1701 Gilden).
- The Hive: A Collection of the most celebrated Songs of our best English Poets. 2 Vols. Printed for John Walthoe, jr. over against the Royal Exchange in Cornhill. London, 1724. (1724 Hive).
- Hughes, Helen Sard. The Gentle Hertford: Her Life and Letters. New York: Macmillan, 1940. I quote from Percy Family Letters and Papers, as Hughes quotes them selectively (she omits lines) from Alnwick Manuscripts.
- La Fontaine, Jean de. Fables choises mises en vers, ed. G. Couton. Paris: Garnier, 1962.
- Lang, Paul Henry. Handel. New York: Norton, 1966.
- Barbara McGovern, Barbara. Anne Finch and Her Poetry: A Critical Biography. Athens: Univ. of Georgia Press, 1992. I quote from the MS Longleat Thynne Papers as quoted in this text.
- Messenger, Ann P. 'Adam Pos'd', Publications of the West Coast Review Society, 8 (1974), pp. 10-11.
- Philips, Katherine. The Collected Works of Katherine Philips: The Matchless Orinda, ed, notes, textual commentary Patrick Thomas. Essex: Stump Cross Books, 1990.
- ------------------. 1678 Poems [by Orinda] in George Saintsbury, Minor Poets of the Caroline Period. London: Oxford University Press, 1905.
- Piggott, Stuart. William Stukeley: An Eighteenth-Century Antiquary, rev. and enlarged edition. New York: Thames and Hudson, 1985.
- Pope, Alexander. Pope's Own Miscellany, Being a reprint of Poems on Several Occasions 1717, containing new poems by Alexander Pope and other, ed. intro. Norman Ault. Facsimile Reprint: London:
Nonesuch Press, 1935/75 (1717 Pope's Own Miscellany).
- ---------------, John Gay and John Arbuthnot. Three Hours After Marriage, from Burlesque Plays of the Eighteenth Century, ed. Simon Trussler. London: Oxford University Press, 1969.
- Stukeley, William. The Diary, Commentaries, Commonplace Book, and Selected Letters. Surtees Society. London: Doppler Press, 1980. Heneage's letters to Stukeley are printed here.
- Swift, Jonathan. Journal to Stella. London: Everyman, 1924.
- ---------------. 'Apollo Outwitted', To the Honorable Mrs. Finch, (since Countess of Winchilsea,) under the name of Ardelia',
Collected Poems of Jonathan Swift, ed. Joseph Horell, 2 vols.
London: Routledge and Kegan Paul, 1:76-78.
- Tate, Nahum, ed. Miscellanea Sacra or POEMS on DIVINE 7 MORAL SUBJECTS. Collected by N. Tate, Servant to His Majesty. London. Printed for Hen. Playford in the Temple Change in Fleet Street. MCDXCVI (1696 Tate).
Contact Ellen Moody.
Pagemaster: Jim Moody.
Page Last Updated 9 January 2003