Short Talk and Film Schedule
Dr Ellen Moody
- English 302:BN1: Tues/Thurs, 4:30 - 7:10 pm, Robinson B222
- English 302:BN2: Tues/Thurs, 7:20 - 10:00 pm, Enterprise 279
On Feynman, SYJ & WDYC:
Tues, June 3rd
- The class watches Christopher Sykes's The Pleasure of Finding Things
Tues, June 10th
- Short Talk 1: RFeynman, boy and young man: The Qualities that Make up the Good
Scientist (SYJ, Parts 1 & 2, WDYC, Chapter 1): Elizabeth Rodgers/________________________
- Short talk 2: RFeynman's criticisms of authority (his dramatizations of counterproductive
uses of secrecy) at Los Alamos and elsewhere (from SYJ, Parts 2 & 3, especially
"Los Alamos from Below" and "Safecracker Meets Safecracker"):
Tony Bach/Sandra Addae
Thurs, June 12th
- Short Talk 3: RFeynman's Definition of a Good Experiment (from "A Map of the Cat", "A
Different Box Of Tools" "The Amateur Scientist" from SJY and "It's as Simple as
One, Two Three" from WDYC):
Al Winner/Michael Kissam
- The class watches Ralph Leighton's The Last Journey of a Genius.
Tues, June 17th
- Short Talk 5: RFeynman's ideas on what is real scientific learning: what ought to go on in a
classroom, be in a book &c ("O Americano Outre Vez" and "Judging Books by Their Covers" in
SYJ and relevant Letters in WDYC, Letters):
- Short Talk 6: RFeynman's General Attitude Towards Education for all Disciplines in School
and in Life ("Who Stole the Door", "Monster Minds," "Is Electricity Fire", "Would You Solve the
Dirac Equation" from SYJ and "I Just Shook His Hand" from WDYC):
Brian Komar/Ragae Said
Thurs, June 19th
- Short Talk 7: RFeynman's Investigations into the Unconscious Mind ("Mee", "Always Trying
to Escape", "Altered States" from SYJ):
- Short Talk 8: RFeynman's Adventures in Art, Music and Anthropology ("But Is It Art?"; "O
Americano Outra Vez!," "Bringing Culture to the Physicists", "Found Out in Paris" in
SYJ, and relevant "Letters" in WDYC):
Skott Shores/Faisal Kiani
- The class watches Jones and David R. Axelrod's Lost at Sea: The Search for
Tues, June 24th
- Short Talk 9: Mr Feynman Goes to Washington: Why some NASA officials are driven to
delude or lie to themselves and the public ("Mr Feynman Goes to Washington" and "Appendix
F" in WDYC): Asteway Gattew/Russell Lovell
- Short Talk 10: A World of Pseudo- and Corrupt Science as Opposed to True Science:
"Cargo Cult Learning" in SYJ and "The Value of Science" in WDYC:
Tammie Grogan/Diana Albone
On Konner, Becoming a Doctor & Klass A Not Entirely Benign
Tues, July 1st
- Short talk 11: "Basic Clinic Skills" and "Emergency Ward Surgery" (Chapters 2-3) from
Becoming a Doctor: Maria Barber/_________________
- Short Talk 12: "Anesthesiology" and "Ward Surgery" (Chapters 4-5) from Becoming a
Doctor: Karyn Anderson/Angela Tigas
- Short Talk 13: "Introduction" and "The Pre-Clinical Years" from A Not Entirely
Benign: Heidi Nealey/Sandra Addae
Tues, July 8th
- Short Talk 14: "Neurosurgery and Neurology" and Psychiatry" The Mind-Body Problem"
(Chapters 6-7) from Becoming a Doctor:
Mamusu Gibateh/Sarah Strom
- Short Talk 15: "Obstetrics" and "Gynecology" (Chapters 9-10) from Becoming a
Doctor: Maribel Gonzales/Crystal Keller
- Short Talk 16: "Pathology: The Aspect of Death" and "Medicine I: A Failure of the Heart"
(Chapters 11-12) from Becoming a Doctor:
Isabel Sharkar/Rebecca Smith
Thurs, July 10th
Short Talk 17: "Medicine II and III: Deathwatches and Healing and Hope" (Chapters 13-14)
from Becoming a Doctor: Alex Murcia/Bradford Butt
- Short Talk 18: "Medicine III: Healing and Hope" and "The Fourth Year": Highlights and
Heroes" (Chapters 15-16) from Becoming a Doctor:
- The class watches as much of Mike Nichols and Emma Thompson's film, Wit as
Tues, July 15th
- Short Talk 19: From "The Clinical Years" in A Not Entirely Benign: "The First
Time," "Crying in the Hospital," "Camels, Zebras and Fascinomas, Learning the Language:"
Diane Henzey/Ken Nunns
- Short Talk 20: From "The Clinical Years in A Not Entirely Benign: "Macho,
Tempos, The Scrubbed and the Unscrubbed; Emergency Room:"
- Short Talk 21: Compare Klass's "Babytalk" (from "The Clinical Years") and "Baby Poop"
(from "Issues") from A Not Entirely Benign with Konner's "Pediatrics" (Chapter 8)
from Becoming a Doctor: Kathy Howey/Kathie Chang
- The classes finishes seeing the rest of Wit.
Thurs, July 17th
- Short Talk 22: From "The Clinical Years" in A Not Entirely Benign: "Invasions;
007s; Enough to Make You Sick; The Prize in the Jacker Box:"
- Short Talk 23: From "The Clinical Years" in A Not Entirely Benign: "Stress and
Potato Chips, Ignorance; 'Who Knows this Patient?:'"
- Short Talk 24: From "Issues" in A Not Entirely Benign: "Power Play, Disasters
Past, Nurses:" Karyn Anderson/Jennie Duvall
Tues, July 22nd
- Short Talk 25: From "Issues" in A Not Entirely Benign: "One in Ten Thousand,
India, When Doctors and Patients Speak Different
Languages:" Asteway Gattew/_______________________
- Short Talk 26: From "Issues" in A Not Entirely Benign: "Dying, Curing, Assess
and Advise, DNR:" Al Winner/______________________
- Short Talk 27: "Putting It Together" and "Conclusion" from A Not Entirely
Contact Ellen Moody.
Pagemaster: Jim Moody.
Page Last Updated 9 June 2003.