Short Talk Schedule for Advanced Composition in the Natural Sciences
English 302N07 and N08, Fall
Dr Ellen Moody
On Feynman, SYJ & WDYC:
- Short talk 1: RFeynman, boy and young man: The Qualities that Make up the Good Scientist (SYJ, Parts 1 & 2, WDYC, Chapter 1).
Redmond Abutin/Nghi Nguyen
- Short talk 2: RFeynman's analysis of authority (its counterproductive uses of secrecy to mask pride and hypocrisy) at Los Alamos and elsewhere (SYJ, Parts 2 & 3, especially "Los Alamos from Below" and "Safecracker Meets Safecracker").
Stephanie Hornby/Erin Brachen-Sanchez
- Short Talk 3: RFeynman's ideas on what is real scientific learning: what ought to go on in a classroom, be in a book &c (SYJ, Parts 4 & 5, especially "O Americano Outre Vez" and "Judging Books by Their Covers;" also WDYC, Letters).
Justin Dellinger/Ryan Forough
- Short talk 4: RFeynman's Adventures in Art, Music, Anthropology, and Conferences (SYJ, Parts 4 & 5, WDYC, Part 1 & Letters).
- Short Talk 5: Mr Feynman Goes to Washington: Why some NASA officials are driven to delude or lie to themselves and the public (WDYC, Part 2).
Jack Nevitt/Chris Tourigny
- Short Talk 6: SYJ, Cargo Cult Science, WDYC, The Value of Science" (Final Chapters).
Julie Bickmore/Tom Snider
On Darwin's Voyage of the Beagle and The Darwin Reader, ed. Mark Ridley
- Short Talk 7: Introducing Darwin One (Voyage, pp. 1-23, 378-99; Darwin Reader, pp. 1-27, 52-54).
- Short talk 8: Darwin and the Gauchoes, Observations on Large Animals and Vegetation, Voyage Chs 3-6 (pp 58-122).
Rich Wilkins/Mark Pack
- Short Talk 9: Discovering Extinct Species, Tierra del Fuego and the Falkland Islands (Voyage, Part of Ch 9, 10-12, beginning of 13, pp 158-97).
William Jennings/Anamaria Ordonez
- Short Talk 10: The Chilean Earthquake, Mountain Climbing and How the Earth and Mountains Formed (Voyage, Chs 16-18, pp. 228-67).
Lisette Ferrer/Alexander Peter
- Short Talk 11: The Galapagos Archipelago (, Ch 19 and The Darwin Reader, Ch 3, pp. 52-83.
Robert Smith/Vincent Bostic
- Short Talk 12: Tahiti, New Zealand & Australia, St Helena & Ascension (Voyage, Chs 20-21, part of 23, pp. 290-332, 359-66).
- Short talk 13: Keeling Island, Coral Formation, Voyage, pp. 332-356, Darwin Reader, Ch 1 (pp. 28-51).
- Short Talk 14: The Origin of Species (as reprinted in The Darwin Reader, Ch 4, pp. 84-135).
Skyler Neylon/Katherine Zand
- Short Talk 14a: The Descent of Man and Selection in Relation to Sex (as reprinted in The Darwin Reader, Ch 6).
Forough Khasraghi/Shannon Dodge
- Short Talk 15: 'The Expression of Emotions in Man and Animals' (as reprinted in The Darwin Reader, Ch 7).
Jeremy Peterson/Jayendra Luintel
On Golub's The Limits of Medicine:
- Short Talk 16: "The Rectangular Curves," "Framing Health and Disease, "The Constant Presence of Death" & "La Longue Durée (pp vii-59).
Tien Tran/Joshua Crowe
- Short Talk 17: "The Seeds of Change" and "Pasteur and the Authority of Science" (pp 59-94).
- Short Talk 18: "Rewriting History and "Never to Die of a Disease in the Future" (pp. 95-133).
Quoc Nguyen/Jason Tingle
- Short Talk 19: "Reframing the Internal World" (pp. 134-59).
- Short Talk 20: "Magic Bullets and the New Paradigm of Medicine" (pp 134-76).
Monir Panjshiri/Nana Tetteh
- Short Talk 21: "The Therapeutic Revolution" (pp. 177-201).
Jennifer Sakran/Heidi Benz
- Short Talk 22: "Reshaping the Goals of Medicine in the Era of Chronic Diseases" and "Finale" (pp 205-226).
Ken Dabbs/Mohamed Jalloh
On the films (these are only for extra students or for those who want extra credit):
- Short Talk 23: A Review of David Attenborough's Life on Earth.
- Short Talk 24: A Review of the first two hours of Frederick Wiseman's Near Death together with Derek Bromhall's Journey Into Life.
Contact Ellen Moody.
Pagemaster: Jim Moody.
Page Last Updated 16 September 2000.