Advanced Writing on Natural Sciences and Technology
Bibliography for Human Genetic and Cultural Heritage and History
- Cavalli, Sforza, Luigi, Paolo Menozzi, and Alberto Pizza. The History and Geography of Human Genes. Abridged Paperback Edition. Princeton: Princeton UP, 1994.
- Cavalli-Sforza, Luigi and Mark Seielstad. Genes, Peoples and Languages.
New York: North Point Press, 2000.
- Darwin, Charles. Voyage of the Beagle, ed . JBrowne and MNeve. London: Penguin, 1989.
- Darwin, Charles. The Darwin Reader, ed. Mark Ridley. New York: Norton, 1996. Second Edition.
- Diamond, Jared. Guns, Germs, and Steel: The Fates of Human Societies New York: Norton, 1998.
- --------------. The Third Chimpanzee: The Evolution and Future of the Human Animal. New York: Harper, 1993.
- Goodall, Jane. In the Shadow of Man, revised edition. Introdd. Stephen Jay Gould. Boston: Houghton Mifflin, 1971.
- -------------. Through a Window: My Thirty Years with the Chimpanzees of Gombe. Boston: Houghton Mifflin, 1990.
- Gould, Stephen Jay. Dinosaur in a Haystack: Reflections in Natural History.
New York: Harmony, 1995.
- ------------------. The Mismeasure of Man. New York: Norton, 1981.
- ------------------. Ever Since Darwin: Reflections in Natural History. New York: Norton, 1992. (Reissue.)
- _-----------------. Panda's Thumb: More Reflections in Natural History. New York: Norton, 1980.
- ------------------. "The Geometer of Race," Discover (November 1994): 65-69.
- Hughes, A. Evolution and Human Kinship . Oxford: Oxford University Press,
- Jones, Martin. The Molecule Hunt Archaeology and the Search for Ancient
DNA. New York: Arcade, 2003.
- Kelly, Saul. The Hunt for Zerzura. London: John Murray, 2002. A fascinating tale of intersections between archeaology and politics.
- Kunchithapadam, Krishna, "What, if anything, is a Mitochondrial Eve?", Errancy, May 1, 2000.
- Montgomery, Sy. Walking with Great Apes: Jane Goodall, Dian Fossey and Birute Gildikas. New York: Mariner,
- Olson, Steve. Mapping Human History: Genes, Race, and Our Common Origins. New York: Houghton Mifflin, 2003.
Review by Kim Allen,
"Mapping Human History," Kim Allen's Online Presence, 2003.
Review by Robin Dunbar, "Olson's Mapping Human History," Human Nature Review, 2: 336-337 (21 August 2002).
- Orr, H. Allen. "Talking Genes," a review-essay on Before the Dawn: Recovering the Lost History of our Ancestors, New York Review of Books, 53:14 (2006):18-22 and online.
- Ruhlen, Merritt. The Origin of Language: Tracing the Evolution of the Mother Tongue. New York: John Wiley, 1994.
- Stoneking, Mark. "DNA and recent human evolution," Evolutionary Anthropology, 2 (1993): 60-73.
- Trinkaus, Erik and Pat Shipman. The Neandertals: Changing the Image of Mankind. New York: Knopf, 1993.
- Wade, Nicholas. Before the Dawn: Recovering the Lost History of Our Ancestors. NY:Penguin, 2006.
- Wallace, Jennifer. Digging the Dirt: The Archeaological Imagination. London: Duckworth, 2004.
Blog commentary: Michael Shanks, "the archealogical imagination," all things archealogical, 8/19/2004, with a good bibliography and a reply in explanation and defense of the book by Wallace herself.
Review by Cornelius Holtorf, "J. Wallace, Digging the Dirt", Rezension, 1/1, 25:11:2004.
Review by Peter Popham, "All that rubble leads to trouble," The Independent (online edition), 12 October 2005.
Review by Colin Renfrew, "What Lies Beneath," Times Literary Supplement, 8 April 2005:28.
Blog commentary: Ellen Moody, a summary and brief critique, 16 July 2005
Lucas de Heere's 1568/9 drawing of
Contact Ellen Moody.
Pagemaster: Jim Moody.
Page Last Updated: 22 January 2004.