Those registering for the Fall 2008 session, 302H06 (7:30-9:00 am)
and 302H07 (9:00-10:15 am) may want to have an idea of what we will read
and watch, and what we will write about. I provide the following for
anyone who registers for these sections and wants to read ahead. The lists do not contain all the online materials we will use.
Advanced Composition on the Humanities
- English 302H06 (Tues/Thurs, 7:30-8:45 am, Fine Arts Building B B112)
- English 302H07 (Tues/Thurs, 9:00-10:15 am, Robinson A109)
Required Books and Possible Online Reading
- Trimble, John. Writing with Style: Conversations on the art of writing. NJ: Prentice-Hall, 1999. Second edition. ISBN 0-13-025713-3.
- Carr, J. L. A Month in the Country. NY: New York Review
of Books edition, 2000. ISBN 0940322471
- Corrigan, Timothy. A Short Guide to Writing about Film.
NY: Longmans, 2003-6. Fourth, fifth, or sixth edition. It doesn't
matter which. ISBN 0321412281 (sixth edition)
- Patchett, Ann. Bel Canto. NY: Harper Perennial, 2005. ISBN 0060838728
- Swift, Graham. Last Orders. NY: Vintage, 1997. ISBN 0679766626.
- Mason, Bobbie Ann. The Girl Sleuth: On the trail of Nancy Drew, Judy Bolton, and Cherry Ames. Athens, Georgia: University of Georgia Press, 1995. ISBN 082031739X
- Austen, Jane. Pride and Prejudice, ed. Margaret Drabble. NY: Signet, 2008. ISBN 0451530780. (Alternative Pride and Prejudice, ed. Tony Tanner NY:Penguin, 1972. ISBN 0140430725)
- James, Henry. Daisy Miller. NY: Modern Library, 2002. ISBN 0375759662
- Nafisi, Azar. Reading Lolita in Tehran: A Memoir in Books. NY: Random, 2004. ISBN 081297106X
- A Month in the Country. 1987 Channel Four/Orion
Film. Produced by Kenneth Trodd. Director, Pat O'Conner; screenplay,
J. L. Carr and Simon Gray; starring Colin Firth, Kenneth Branagh,
Natasha Richardson, Patrick Malahide, Richard Vernon, Jim Carter,
Vicki Arundale, Martin O'Neile, Tim Barker, Eileen O'Brien, Barbara
Marten, Kenneth Kitsen, Elizabeth Anson. Original Music: Howard
Blake. 96 minutes.
- Last Orders. 2001 Columbia Tristar Picture. Executive Producer: Ed Atkinson. Directed by Fred Schepisi; screenplay Fred Schepisi and Graham Swift; starring Helen Mirren, Bob Hoskins, Michael Caine, Tom Courteney, David Hemmings, Ray. Winston, J. J. Field. Original Music: Paul Grabowsky. 109 minutes.
- Daisy Miller. 1974 Paramount film, produced and directed by Peter Bogdanovich, from screenplay by Frederick Raphael, adapted from story by Henry James, starring Cybill Shepherd as Daisy Miller, Barry Brown as Frederick Winterbourne, Chloris Leachman as Mrs Ezrar Miller. 91 minutes.
- We will see selections from a few film adaptations of Pride and Prejudice, to wit, the 1995 BBC/A&E Pride and Prejudice, produced by Sue Birtwistle, directed by Simon Langton, written by Andrew Davies, starring Jennifer Ehle, Colin Firth, Benjamin Whitrow, Alison Steadman, David Bamber, Adrian Lukis, Suzannah Harker; 1998 Warner You've Got Mail, produced by Nora Ephron and Lauren Shuler Donner, directed by written by Nora Ephron (based on Samson Raphaelson's Shop Around the Corrner, itself an update and adaptation of Nikolaus Laszlo's Shop Around the Corner), starring Tom Hanks, Meg Ryan; 2001 Miramax Columbia Tristar Bridget Jones's Diary, directed by Sharon Macguire, written by Helen Fielding and Andrew Davies, starring Renee Zellweger, Hugh Grant, Colin Firth, Gemma Jones, Jim Broadbent; 2004 Pathe Bride and Prejudice, produced & directed by Gurinder Chadha, written by Paul Mayeda Berges, starring Aishwarya Rai, Martin Henderson.
Contact Ellen Moody.
Pagemaster: Jim Moody.
Page Last Updated 21 November 2007