Advanced Composition on Humanities: English 302H09 & 302H26
Short Talk Schedule
Talks for English 302H09 and 302H26
Bibliography and Notes Formats for All Students
Learning to Write an Abstract for 302H09 & 302H26
For Short Talk
Essay #1: Writing about Art
In class essays (for midterm and final): Writing about Literature
In class essays: Writing about Books and Film Adaptations of Books
Essay #3: Memory and Self: In Search of Lost Time
Professional Online Materials: Advanced Composition on the Humanities
- For J. L. Carr's A Month in the Country
- For Jhumpa Lahiri and The Namesake
- Natalie Friedman's "From Hybrids to Tourists: Children of Immigrants in Jhumpa Lahiri's The Namesake, Critique: Studies in Contemporary Fiction, 50:1 (2008):
- Class lecture as a blog by Dr Moody: Jhumpa Lahiri's Namesake: the difficulty
of finding, creating, holding to an identity, with comment on the film
and a comment on the book, The Namesake: A portrait of the film by Mira Nair.
- David H. Lynn's "The Virtues of Ambition", a review of The Namesake, Kenyon Review, New Series, 26:3 (Summer 2004):
- Mandira Sen's "Names and Nicknames," review in Women's Review of Books, 21:6 (2004):9-10.
- Michiko Kakutani's "From Calcutta to Suburbia: A Family's Perplexing Journey," New York Times, September 2, 2003.
- Deepika Bahri's "Touched by Mira Nair's Vivid, Sonorous Account of
Immigrant Life in an Adopted Home City," Film Quarterly, 61:1 (Fall 2007):10-15.
- Sarah Kerr's "Displaced Passions," New York Review of Books, 55:8 (May 8, 2009)
- Atext (pdf) of Gogol's "The Overcoat"
- Life, works and writing of Gogol
- Overview of "The Overcoat"
- "The Overcoat" as a ghost story.
- From QEP Enhancement research projects
- For Bobbie Ann Mason and The Girl Sleuth: On the trail of Nancy Drew, Judy Bolton, and Cherry Ames
- Dr Moody's blog on Bobbie Ann Mason's The Girl Sleuth, with a potted history of children's literature,
from Reveries under the Sign of Austen.
- Dr Moody's blog on Deborah O'Keefe's Good Girl Messages, from Ellen and Jim have a blog, too.
- On Bobbie Ann Mason's memoir, Clear Springs
- Lisa Hinrichsen's "'I can't
believe it was really real:' Violence, Vietnam, and Bringing War Home in Bobbie Ann Mason's In Country,
Southern Literary Journal, 40:2 (Spring 2008:232-248,318.
- Life and writing of Bobbie Ann Mason
- Nancy Drew.
- Judy Bolton.
- The Hardy Boys
- From National Council of Teachers Database
Internet Movie Database information for: A Month in the Country, The Namesake, The Haunting, The Ox-Bow Incident,
Poldark, Small Island
- For Shirley Jackson and The Haunting of Hill House
- Dr Moody's website: Gothics and ghosts, vampires, witches, and l'écriture-femme,
see for definitions and explanations, Vampires and ghost stories defined and distinguished
- Dr Moody's review and summary of Richard Davenport-Hines's The Gothic: 400 Years of Excess, Evil, Horror and
- Dr Moody's blog: Shirley Jackson's novel, The Haunting of Hill House, and Robert Wise's 1963 film, The
Haunting: quintessential gothic and film noir.
- Martha Ragland's "Shirley Jackson," American Novelists Since World War
II: Second Series. Ed. James E. Kibler. Detroit: Gale Research, 1980.
Dictionary of Literary Biography Vol. 6. Literature Resource Center.
Web. 14 Jan. 201.
- Roberta Rubenstein's "House Mothers and Haunted Daughters: Shirley Jackson and Female Gothic,"
Tulsa Studies in Women's Literature,15.2 (Fall 1996):309-331.
- George E. Haggerty's "'Queer Company': The Turn of the Screw and The Haunting of Hill House,
Twentieth-Century Literary Criticism, Vol. 202. Detroit: Gale, 2006. 131-50.
- Stephen Jay Schneider's "Thrice-told tales: the Haunting, from novel to film ... to film," Journal of Popular Film and Television, 30.3 (Fall 2002):166ff. From Literature Resource Center.
- For Walter van Tilburg Clark and The Ox-Bow Incident
- L. L. Lee, "Walter Van Tilburg Clark,", American Novelists, 1910-1945. Ed. James J. Martine. Dictionary of Literary Biography Vol. 9. Detroit: Gale Research, 1981. From Literature Resource Center.
- L. L. Lee, "Walter Van Tilburg Clark's Ambiguous American Dream", College English, 26:5 (1965):382-387
- Kenneth Hada's "The Ox-Bow Incident," The Explicator, 59.3 (Spring 2001): p147. From Literature Resource Center
- Dr Moody's blog on Clark's The Ox-Bow Incident (author and work), William Wellman's film adaptation
- Janet Dead, "Searching for new Western Literary Criticism", Modern Fiction Studies, 46.4 (2000) 949-958
- For Winston Graham and Ross Poldark
- Ellen Moody's "Ross Poldark: the revenant", together with a life and works of Graham (in the comments), Ellen and Jim Have a Blog Two, Ellen Moody's Website: Mostly on English and Continental and Womens' Literature, January 2011
- Ellen Moody's An Eighteeenth Century Cornish Che Guevara: the 1975-76 mini-series, Ellen and Jim Have a Blog Two, Ellen Moody's Website: Mostly on English and Continental and Womens' Literature, January 2011
- Ellen Moody's Teaching Ross Poldark:
Pleasures and Uses of Historical Romance and fiction", Ellen and Jim have a blog, two, Ellen Moody's Website: Mostly on English and Continental and Womens' Literature, January 2011
- Ellen Moody's Winston Graham’s Poldark’s Cornwall: 3 types of historical fiction",
Ellen and Jim Have a Blog Two, Ellen Moody's Website: Mostly on English and Continental and Womens' Literature, January 2011
- For Andrea Levy and Small Island
- Andrea Levy's "This is my England",
brief on line autobiography, Encuentro con la Cultura del Caribe - Historia, Sociología, Antropología, Arqueología, Literatura,
- Ellen Moody's "Andrea Levy’s Small Island & the 2009 mini-series: painful disillusionments, inescapable identities", Ellen Moody's Website: Mostly on English and Continental and Womens' Literature, January 2011
- Laura Albritton's "Review" of Andrea Levy's Small Island, Harvard
Review, 29 (2005):235-237
- Njeri Githrie, "Empire Bites Back: Food Politics and the Making of a Nation in Andrea Levy's Work", Callaloo,
English 302H09 (MW, 9-10:15am, East Bldg 121), 302H26 (MW, 10-11:45 am,
A Final Note
I was scheduled to
teach English 302N10 (MW, 3-4:15 pm, Robinson B102) in fall 2012 and put up a
reading list. I leave it for the record as the last one I did at GMU and
typical of the way I started this course. I leave everything on this part
of my site here with the thought it may be of interest to readers and other students
Book and film lists