Essay-Reviews and Reviews
The Reviewer's Corner of Ellen's website includes a selection of her published
reviews and essay-reviews on literature. Although the pieces
are subdivided chronologically, the perspective she necessarily takes is that of a reader coming to terms with different aspects of modern and post-
modern critical thought as they reveal
themselves in different critical-scholarly treatments of literature,
film, and the visual arts. It also includes those reviews of her work she has been able to procure a text of and put on this
Nineteenth Century Literature and Film Adaptations
- A review of Simon Heffer, High Minds: The Victorians
and the Birth of Modern Britain . London: Random House, 2013. xvii + 878pp. with illustrations and notes.
- A Review of Margaret Markwick, Deborah Denenholz Morse, and Reginia Gagnier, edds. The Politics of Gender in Anthony Trollope's Novels: New Readings for the Twenty-First Century
Nineteenth-Century Contexts, 33:2 (May 2011): 190-92.
- A Review of Child Murder & British Culture: 1720-1900 by Josephine McDonagh. Cambridge University Press, 2003, and Fatal Women of Romanticism by Adriana Craciun. Cambridge University Press, 2003. Keats-Shelley Journal, LIV, 2005: 199-202.
- "Taking Sides", Studies in the Novel, 36: 2 (2004): 251-69. An Invited Essay-Review of Leah Price's
The Anthology and the Rise of the Novel, Neil McCaw, George Eliot and Victorian
Historiography: Imagining the National Past,
and Barbara Tepa Lupack, ed. Nineteenth-Century Women at the Movies: Adapting
Classic Women's Fiction to Film.
Eighteenth Century Literature
- A review of The Early Journals and Letters of Fanny Burney. Vol V. 1782-1783,
edd. Lars E. Troide and Stewart J. Cooke.
- A Review of Christopher Hodson. The Arcadian Diaspora: An Eighteenth Century History. Oxford University
Press, 2012. For Spring 2013
- A Review of Nussbaum, Felicity. Rival Queens: Actresses, Performance, and the Eighteenth Century Theater. Philadelphia:
University of Pennsylvania Press, 2010. For Fall 2012 Intelligencer
- Tremblay, Isabella. A review of Isabelle de Montolieu (1751-1832) site. Caroline de Lichtfield, ou Mimoires d'une Famille Prussienne, ed. Ellen Moody http://www .jimandellen.org/ montolieu/ caroline.show.html. Eighteenth-Century Fiction, 22:4 (Summer 2010):739-741.
- A Review of Trouille, Mary. Wife Abuse in eighteenth century France. Oxford: Voltaire Foundation, 2000.
For spring 2010 The Intelligencer.
- A Review of MacCarthy, William. Anne Barbauld: Voice of the
Enlightenment. Baltimore: Johns Hopkins UP, 2008. This review appeared in The Eighteenth-Century Intelligencer, N.S. 23:3 (September
- A Review of Gender, Religion, and Radicalism in the Long Eighteenth Century: The 'Ingenious Quaker and Her Connections by Judith Jennings. Hampshire: Ashgate, 2006. This review appeared in The Eighteenth-Century Intelligencer, N.S. 22:3 (September 2008):21-25.
- A Review of Eighteenth-Century Women Poets and Their Poetry: Inventing Agency, Inventing Genre by Paula R. Backscheider. Baltimore: Johns Hopkins Press, 2005. This review appeared in The Eighteenth Century Intelligencer, N.S. 20:3 (September 2006:)42-46.
- A Review of The Image of Georgian Bath, 1700-200: Towns, Heritage, and History by Peter Borsay. Oxford University Press, 2000. The Scriblerian, 37:1 (Autumn 2004): 89-90.
- A Review of Textual Promiscuities: Eighteenth-Century Critical Rewriting by Antoinette Marie Sol. Lewisburg: Bucknell University Press and London: Associated University Presses, 2002. This review appeared in Burney Letter, 10:2 (Fall 2004): 13-14.
- A Review of Women Writers and the English Nation in the 1790s: Romantic Belongings by Angela Keane. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press, 2000. This review appears in ECCB: The Eighteenth Century: A Current Bibliography, 2004)
- A Review of Catharine Trotter: An early modern writer in the vanguard of feminism by Anne Kelley. Hampshire, England: Ashgate, 2002. This review appearsin Scriblerian, 36:1 (August 2003): 58-59.
- A Review-Essay of Eighteenth-Century Women: Studies in Their Lives, Work, and Culture. Linda V. Troost, Editor. Volume 2. New York: AMS Press, 2002. Pp. x + 351; illustrated. This review appeared in The East-Central Intelligencer: The Newsletter of the East-central/American Society for Eighteenth Century Studies, N. S. 17/2 (2003), 24-31.
- A Review of The
Anne Finch Wellesley Manuscript Poems, edd. Barbara McGovern and Charles
Hinnant. Athens and London: The University of Georgia Press, 1998. Pp. l + 205. A
somewhat abbreviated version of this appears in The Scriblerian 33/2 (2001), pp
203-4. I have reprinted this longer one in order to place into circulation more information on the
individuals mentioned in, and immediate circumstances surrounding, the poems in question.
- A Review of The Politics of Motherhood: British writing and culture, 1680-1760 by Toni Bowers. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press, 1996. Pp. xvi + 262; illustrated. This review appeared in The East-Central Intelligencer: The Newsletter of the East-central/American Society for Eighteenth Century Studies, N.S. 10 (Sept. 1996), 19-21.
Jane Austen and Film adaptations
- A Review of From Prada to Nada: a 2011 Film adaptation of Sense and Sensibility, in BSECS, Media
Reviews, 31 December 2012
- A review of The Later Manuscripts, edd. Janet Todd and Linda Bree, part of The Cambridge Editions of the
Works of Jane Austen. Cambridge University Press, 2008. For August 2012 The Eighteenth Century: A current Bibliography
- "Jane Austen in French", published in Ekleksographia Wave Two, October 2009.
- A Review of A
Critical Companion to Jane Austen: A Literary Reference to Her Life and Work by William Baker. New York: Facts on
File, Infobase Publishing, 2008. Appeared in The
Eighteenth-Century Intelligencer, NS, 22:2 (2008):43-46.
- A Review of In a Fast Coach with a Pretty Women: Jane Austen and Samuel Johnson by Gloria Sybil Gross. AMS Studies in the Eighteenth Century No. 40. New York: AMS Pr,
2002. Pp. 208. ISBN 0-404-63540-7. $62.50. For The East-Central Intelligencer: The Newsletter of the East-central/American Society for Eighteenth Century Studies, N.S. 18:3 (Sept 2004): 30-32.
- A Review of Reshaping the Sexes in Sense and Sensibility by Moreland Perkins.
Charlottesville and London: University Press of Virginia, 1998. Pp. xi + 208. $24.50.
This is an expanded version of the review which appeared in The Journal of English and
Germanic Philology, 99:1 (January 2000): 141-43.
- An Essay-Review of Topic: A Journal of the Liberal Arts: Jane Austen Goes to the Movies, No. 48, Washington and Jefferson College (November 1997).
This is a somewhat modified version of the review-essay which appeared in The East-Central Intelligencer: The Newsletter of the East-Central/American Society for
Eighteenth-Century Studies, N.S. 12 (Sept. 1998), 12-17. I have since writing that essay
done more research whose results I now include in the form of small revisions of the text, added
notes, and a select bibliography.
- A review of Vittoria Colonna and the Spiritual Poetics of the Italian Reformation by Abigail Brundin. Hampshire: Ashdate, 2008. For Renaissance Quarterly, intended for fall 2008 issue.
- A Review of Autobiography
and Gender in Early Modern Literature: Reading Women's Lives,
1600-1680 by Sharon Cadman Seelig, Renaissance
Quarterly, 60:2 (2007):675-677.
- A Review of Women's Letters Across Europe, 1400-1700. London: Ashgate, 2004, edd., introd. Jane Couchman and Ann Crabb. A shorter version of this review appears in Renaissance Quarterly, 49:3 (Fall 2006):930-32.
- An Essay-Review of Gabriella Zarri's Per lettera: Le scrittura epistolare femminile tra
archivio e tipografia secoli XV - XVII. A slightly different version of this essay appears in
The Sixteenth Century Journal: The Journal of Early Modern
Studies, 33/2 (2001), 632-636.
- A Review of Proportional Form in the Sonnets of the Sidney Circle:
Loving in Truth by Tom W. N. Parker. Oxford: Clarendon Press,
1998. 259 pp. HB. This review appeared in The Sixteenth Century
Journal: The Journal of Early Modern Studies, 31/1 (2000), 197-
- A Review of The English Renaissance: Identity and Representation in
Elizabethan England by Alistair Fox. Oxford: Blackwell
Publishers, 1997. viii + 240 pp. $64.95 HB. $26.95 PB. This review appeared in The Sixteenth Century Journal: The Journal of Early Modern Studies, 29
Contact Ellen Moody.
Pagemaster: Jim Moody.
Page Last Updated 15 December 2005